TutorPlus Sàrl registered at 72 rue de Lausanne, 1202, Geneva, Switzerland complies with the recognised standards of practice of the General Data Protection Regulation EU 2016/679, known widely as GDPR, and implemented from May 25, 2018 and with the standards outlined in the Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection called the FADP.
At TutorsPlus we respect your privacy and that of your children, and as such we are committed to protecting your personal information and keeping it safe and secure. Most of the personal information we receive has been provided by you, generally when you visit our website or enrol your child.
Processing activities covered
All student and tutor data is kept secure at all times. This means paper and electronic records will have appropriate security measures in place. This security will ensure that confidentiality is maintained for student and tutor records, and enables information to be shared lawfully and appropriately so that it can be made accessible for those authorised to see it.
This Privacy Statement applies to the processing of Personal Data in the following ways:
- Promoting the security of our websites and services: We process your Personal Data by tracking use of our websites, web platform and services, verifying accounts and activity.
- Providing necessary functionality: We process your Personal Data to perform our contract with you; where we have not entered into a contract with you, we base the processing of your Personal Data on our legitimate interest to provide you with the necessary functionality required during your use of our websites and services;
- Managing user registrations: If you have registered for an account with us, we process your Personal Data by managing your user account for the purpose of performing our contract with you according to applicable terms of service;
- Handling contact and user requests: If you fill out a “Contact us” web form or request user support, or if you contact us by other means including via a phone call, we process your Personal Data to perform our contract with you and to the extent, it is necessary for our legitimate interest in fulfilling your requests and communicating with you;
- Managing payments: If you have provided financial information to us, we process your Personal Data to verify that information and to collect payments to the extent that doing so is necessary to complete a transaction and perform our contract with you;
- Assessing and improving user experience: We process device and usage data as described in the section above, which in some cases may be associated with your Personal Data, in order to analyze trends in order to assess and improve the overall user experience to the extent it is necessary for our legitimate interest in developing and improving the service offering, or where we seek your valid consent;
- Sending marketing communications: We will process your Personal Data to send you marketing information, product recommendations communications (e.g., marketing newsletters, telemarketing calls, SMS, or push notifications) about us and our affiliates and partners, including information about our products, promotions or events as necessary for our legitimate interest in conducting direct marketing.
- Complying with legal obligations: We process your Personal Data when cooperating with public and government authorities, courts or regulators in accordance with our legal obligations under applicable laws to the extent this requires the processing or disclosure of Personal Data to protect our rights or is necessary for our legitimate interest in protecting against misuse or abuse of our website, protecting personal property or safety, pursuing remedies available to us and limiting our damages, complying with judicial proceedings, court orders or legal processes or to respond to lawful requests.
- TutorsPlus is a Swiss-based company serving a growing community of international students around the world. We reserve the right to transfer your data across international jurisdictions, in order to perform our contract with you.
- Where we need to collect and process Personal Data by law, or under a contract we have entered into with you, and you fail to provide the required Personal Data when requested, we may not be able to perform our contract with you.
Personal data security
While we store and use your personal data, we will ensure the appropriate security of your personal data including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisational measures. In addition, we limit access to such personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a valid need to know that information (such as your tutor).
Our hosting of client and student information, including personal data, is located on servers within Switzerland. No third parties have access to your personal data unless there is a lawful basis that allows them to do so. We cannot deliver our education services without processing the data we collect and share.
In following the requirement of Article 32 – Security of Processing of the GDPR, we have put in place suitable technical and organisational measures to protect your personal information.
Whenever users submit personal information through the TutorsPlus website (such as contact info or credit card info) via online forms, registration, or online purchase, upon submission that information is encrypted via the highest level of security available (SSL). Servers that store personally identifiable information are in a secure environment. Under no circumstances are credit card numbers permanently stored on our website servers.
You have a right to:
- be informed of how we are processing your personal information – this privacy notice serves this purpose, get in touch with us if you have any specific questions we can help with;
- have your data corrected if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- have your information erased (the right to be forgotten) in certain situations – e.g. where it is no longer needed by us for the purpose in which it was collected or you have withdrawn your consent;
- restrict the use of your data in certain circumstances.
- to object to the processing of your data in certain situations.
- object to the processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress.
If you have any concerns about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, please don’t hesitate to raise your concern with us in the TutorsPlus administration team.
In light of recent changes to cookies practices in 2021 (with respect to the disablement of third-party cookies on some browsers) we include below an updated list of the more popular browser types with hyperlinks showing how to adapt their cookie settings accordingly:
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Under data protection legislation, everyone has the right to request access to the information we hold about them. To make a request for your personal information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also directly contact the Supervisory Authority in Switzerland which is: Préposé Fédéral à la Protection des Données et à la Transparence (PFPDT), Feldeggweg 1, 3003 Berne.